Sunday, March 20, 2011

giving a quarter

This past week we had a couple nice sunny days where we could actually go outside to play (bring on Spring).  On one of the days Kekoa decided to have a yard sale.  He's been bugging me to do one all winter and each time he asked me, I told him that no one goes to yard sales when it is so cold outside.  Seizing the opportunity the great weather afforded, he drug out a snow sled from the garage, filled it with toys we had set aside for a yard sale, and waited for some business.  I swept the front porch as he sold to curious neighbor kids (I think he even went and knocked on doors announcing the sale).  It was funny to hear him go from something costing $5 to a quarter.  He sold a couple things to each kid that came around.  By the end of the day he had collected $2.33.  He was so excited. 
The next day as he was counting his money, I reminded him that he had the wonderful opportunity to pay tithing.  Immediately he complained and showed how unhappy he was to even think about giving up some of his money.  We sat down and I helped him figure out what he should pay.  He decided that the 2 dimes and three pennies was much more unbearable than a single quarter.  So we decided to give the quarter.  Still he complained, "But mom, I worked soooo hard to earn that money."  "Why do we have to pay tithing any way?"
There was a lot of talking and encouragement from me and lots of tears from Kekoa.  In the end I told him it was his money and he could choose, but I hoped he would pay.  I was so proud of him today - he brought his quarter (after me reminding him) and paid his tithing.  Little building blocks, I have faith will last his whole life through.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Sorry, this just made me laugh but I know it isn't a laughing matter. Isn't is funny, how we all have to learn and teach principles of the gospel? He is so cute that he was persistent in doing a sale, so like him. This is a cute memory to write down. :)

reyesohana said...

I actually had to hold back the giggles. Kekoa can be so dramatic sometimes!