Tuesday, June 22, 2010

All Better

Yesterday, we finished Ka'imi's last dose of antibiotics.  It is so happy to know we are fully past her eye infection.  I didn't get a chance to post pics earlier.  I didn't really take pictures of her - just a couple with my camera phone.  On the day before her surgery, I finally did one with my regular camera - she just looked so cute in her mini-sized hospital gown.  So here is what I took.



This first picture was one I took before we took her in to see the doctor on Monday.


I took this one, thinking she was still so cute laying there in her hospital gown, even with her poor eye.


This picture was the night before her surgery.  With a couple days of antibiotics, the swelling went down a bit.  Here you see her "hat" (we told the boys that was what it was).  An IV out your head? Yeah.  The nurse had fun taking it out of her hair.  Thankfully, with some anti-adhesive wipes, I don't think she lost one strand.


My sweet mother came to the rescue to watch the boys so I could stay with Ka'imi in the hosptial and Kyle could get some things done for work (and come help me).  And the boys were delighted with the kid-friendliness of Primary Childrens.

Looking at her now, you can hardly tell she had any trouble with her eye.  We went to church the Sunday after we came home from the hospital and almost everyone had no clue the terrible week we had.  She looks beautiful as ever :  )  We count our blessing that we caught it early enough and had such great care that she's recovered with no lasting effects.



Update: On July 2nd, we took Ka'imi back to Primary Children's for a follow-up visit.  With her eye still pooling tears, she is not 100% clear.  So, we just have to watch her close.  I have been stressing about the coming bills from all this - we have great insurance, but extra expenses are always stressful.  So, to make me feel more grateful I asked the doctor what would have happened if we lived 100 years ago (meaning if we didn't do anything to treat it).  His words? "Invariably death."  Because she was so young, the infection would have spread and taken her life.  Scary! It makes me so grateful for the time we live in. I love my little girl and am so thankful she is ours and healthy again!

5 comments:

kelly said...

so glad she is good now! I actually was teaching my boys about you today. about the strong woman that you are and the great life you live. they couldn't beleive that you could do so many things despite only have one limb to accomplish it all. So thank you - for being such a great example to my family, even from all the way over here....

Unknown said...

Oh, poor, poor baby! Those first pics are so painful to even look at, but I am so glad you shared this. I know it was so hard to go through and I admire you for sticking through it so well. You're right, you can hardly tell anything was wrong and she is just beautiful!

Jess said...

Whoa, that was major! POOR THING!! She is so big now, and so cute and pretty! Can't wait to see you guys!

Canadian Princess said...

Those are the saddest pictures of Ka'imi... and I'm so glad everything turned out and that there are no long lasting effects.

Patricia Costello said...

Ohhhh, I'm so sad that poor girl has been through so much! You poor mommy! I'm glad it's over and she's healthy. WOW.