Tuesday, June 29, 2010

sunday paper


A couple weeks ago, we were interviewed to be in the paper of the Daily Herald.  We visited with the woman writing the article for an interview.  Then she sent us the article to make sure she had names and other things written correctly.  We made our changes and sent it back.   For whatever reason, not all the changes we made ended up on the final print of the paper.  They were not anything too serious, but enough to bug me to the point that I am going to correct it here on our blog :  )

First, just for the record: Delthine should be Delphine and Kekeo, of course, Kekoa.  And I graduated in Marriage, Family and Human Development.

Now the numbered ones:
 
1. This was a line I was hoping would either be changed or left out.  I feel like it doesn't connect with us - neither Kyle or I are immigrants (myself as native as it gets).  I also felt like it made it sound like ours is a rags to riches story. We were neither in extreme poverty and now are no where near being "rich." I also felt like just because we are ethnic the assumtion is made that we come from a low SES.  Anyway - it just didn't sit well with me - oh well.

2. My mother has 7, not 8 children.

3. I served my mission in the middle of school and not after I graduated.

4.  Though it made me seem less crazy, the truth is I have 4 under the age of 6.

5. Again, a phrase that didn't sit right with me. I don't care for the word "daunting."  It is a challenge, but there is no dreading or lack of hope in my situation.

6. We do not visit Hawaii every year - we make it for family reunions when we can, but that is only every few years. 

These might seem like silly changes, but  figure if the newspaper is a form of family history, the record might as well be set straight :)

But overall, lesson learned?  You can't believe everything you read, especially in the paper.  :  )


Here is the color version of the picture we submitted.  They were suppose to have one of their photographers come, but it never worked out.  We did it as Kyle was out the door to fly to Alaska - 8am (!).  His traveling companion took it.  After swapping two heads and Kyle's eyes, this is what we got : )

4 comments:

Greg said...

The Daily Herald strikes again!

You could add to your list what I thought was an important omission. In the paragraph that says your family drives "to south Provo a couple of times a week to church, so that the children will feel at home with their diverse heritage" the author fails to mention what's so special about going to church in south Provo and what that has to do with diversity.

Ah, well. At least you made the paper! The girls and I loved seeing all of you in print.

Canadian Princess said...

I can totally see why you were a little bugged...it's just too bad reporters don't care as much about the truth as they do "their own" story.

And that's impressive you were able to get that pic at 8 am in the morning...we're not even all up by then!

Oh and I remembered last night i have your wrap and scissors still...do you want me to bring them up to you sometime? I just feel bad that I still have them in case you need them...let me know;)

Patricia Costello said...

Ditto what Greg said, they left out an important detail!

Despite the errors, still a great article about a great family! :D

Jess said...

That is too bad that some newspaper reporters are so not good at their jobs! My gahlee! At least you guys made the papers though. :)
It has definitely made me realize that I can't believe everything I read in the papers.