Saturday, November 13, 2010

Nov 13th





Here is part of something I posted on my photography blog.  I wanted to share it here as well, so that I could remember my thoughts and feelings today.

This is a picture of a darling little boy named Mateo.  During his session I realized how much I truly love photography and especially newborn photography (not like I didn't know that already, but . . .)

So, today, November 13th, is the anniversary of when I lost my arm in a car accident 14 years ago.  It has affected my life in many ways, as anyone can imagine.  One of the more frustrating ways is in my photography.  You see, part of the art of newborn photography is posing babies.  A beautiful newborn picture looks effortless, natural, and peaceful.  As anyone who has ever done a newborn session knows (client or photographer), it is a good amount of work and talent to get some of these sleeping baby poses.  Now imagine doing it with one hand! (I am so thankful for the sweet parents who help me during the sessions).

So, during Mateo's session, I was struggling a bit and I honestly told myself, Michele, you need to quit.  You cannot do this with one hand.

But.  When I got to my computer and started editing I knew I could not.  I cannot describe the joy and satisfaction I get in capturing a newborn baby.  There is something inside me that is almost giddy at the sweetness of a posed baby with their tiny little fingers and toes.  I love it.  And so I have decided that along with being a wife and mother, this was what I was meant to do.  So, that means I just have to figure it out somehow and keep trying . . .

5 comments:

Rae said...

Oh Michele....I'm speechless. Both over the gorgeous image above, and over your determination to overcome the results of that accident. I hope you never stop doing photography--there is a peace in your photos that I think we all crave and need, and a unique beauty that only YOU portray in the way you do. And it would be a horrible shame to lose your view in the sea of other views.

Jess said...

Hi Michele! I thought of you today. You are so talented in many ways especially with photography, positioning newborns, sewing, creating, cooking, the list can go on and on. The funny thing is, you do things so perfectly with one arm and I can't even do things that you know how to do. The great thing is, you never let anything get in your way from accomplishing your dreams. You are truly a great inspiration to me and to many. There is no way on earth you could quit at this amazing talent you have. Love ya!
And by the way, I love this picture and position. That baby is so precious looking.

Stephanie said...

Hi Michele - I am a old friend of Kyle's... and I hope you don't mind that I read your blog and admire your amazing photography. Your pictures are so beautiful and real - and you are inspiring, beautiful and amazing yourself. You are an inspiration to us all. Please never stop taking pictures.

Jenny said...

Michele, this picture is absolutely breath taking. Thank you for sharing it. You are quite the talented woman. You have a gift because I'm not able to do most of what you do with two hands.

SommerNani said...

I'll never forget when we learned of your accident and then a few days later we learned that Joseph passed away while on his mission. Our family has always felt a special bond with you and your family and I have admired you ever since I can remember. I can't believe so much time has gone by. You have accomplished so much in your life and are such a beautiful person, I still want to be just like you! Miss you guys!