I have been wanting to throw Michele and her twin brother, Uwe, a surprise birthday party ever since I realized that this was going to be the big 3-0. I figured that if I invited all their friends, I might be feeding about 400 people so I decided to turn it down a notch. I decided that I wanted to surprise them with mostly family and a few friends. Well, I got what I wanted.
Before I go any further, you have to know that I am the worst at surprising Michele. Of the ten times I have tried to surprise her since we have met, she has found out about the surprise eight times. I knew this going into my planning but I thought I would be sneaky this time.
(Back to the story)
I decided to do an online evite of friends that I had emails for. I went to the evite website and clicked on a number of emails that were already loaded onto the website from a previous party we had planned. My first location fell through so luckily my neighbors (thanks Fischers) were able to secure a room for me by Tuesday (party was on Saturday, 28th). I sent the email out and within one day, I received a confirmation that 33 people were coming. I then opened the list and realized that there were a ton of people that still hadn't replied or opened their emails. I also noticed that there were a bunch of people that were close friends who were not on the email list (most of my ward) because I didn't have emails for them. Later, I realized that the log-in email for the evite account was our family email account. I quickly opened the account and noticed that someone else (Michele) had already opened it. There went the surprise.
As the day approached, I was bummed about Michele's discovery, but was excited nonetheless. I anticipated about 100 people from phone calls, facebook messages, and evite RSVPs. Michele really likes Lon's Cookin' Shack BBQ pulled pork so I ordered enough for 100 people. I cooked enough rice and macaroni salad for 100 people. Michele's mom, sister (Celeste) and friend (Keisha) helped me all of Saturday morning to get ready (cake, decorations, food, drinks, music, etc.). It was a team effort. The time had finally arrived for the party.
We were still preparing some food at 4:00 (the announced time of the party) and figured that most wouldn't come till later. Celeste, Keisha, and I were at the chapel while Jeremiah (Michele's younger brother) kept Michele and Uwe at the house. We waited.....and waited....and waited. 4:10......4:20......4:30......."Hey someone just pulled up!!" Two of our friends (the Garcias) came in and we sat and talked. Jeremiah sent the text, "We are all ready. What should we do?" I replied, "Go ahead and bring them" knowing that we couldn't wait too much longer. At 4:40, two cars pull up with Michele, Uwe, the kids and the whole family. by this time the sad situation had turned somewhat humorous and we hid inside the lobby of the church building (sort of). "SURPRISE!!" we yelled as they walked through. Michele looked around as if to say, "Where is everyone?" She confessed later that she was thinking, "Where did everyone park?" in anticipation of a real surprise party. A few more people showed including the: Charitons, Hanamaikais, Loebels, Blanchards, Chuns, and others but it was pretty slow to say the least.
I write this blog not to make anyone feel bad for not coming (seriously) or not being invited (my fault - I don't have many emails) but rather to laugh at the memory of this occasion. If any of you would like for me to plan your surprise party, let me know. I just have to laugh at my lame attempt to throw Michele and Uwe a party. By the way, the food was amazing.
Michele, I love you always. If it's any consolation, the party was great in my imagination as I was planning. Happy Birthday honey!!
Love, K
5 comments:
I'm proud to have had the honor of being Fire Bringer at the party.
So sorry to not come! We love you guys so much, but we have been sick sick sick and know you don't want it! Next time I see you , Michele, I'll bring a frosty to celebrate!
Great picture of the two of you!
Awwwww, I feel bad that I wasn't there!
I forgot to say that I love your hair Michele...I think it looks great! And it's the thought that counts Kyle;)
I know you aren't trying to make anyone feel bad, but I'm still very sad we didn't make it.
Well...at least Michele was surprised in the end! (That's the best - an surprise un-party)
Post a Comment