So Kyle and I have decided that we are going to work on improving our lives by eating a little healthier. Kyle's inspiration came from Men's Health magazine and mine from a PBS show where the speaker told of kids found with 50% blockage in their arteries by the age of 6. We also know we are not getting any younger (as Kyle and I both leave the 20's on our next birthdays) and both are in need of added energy to fulfill our responsibilities as provider and nurturer.
We made a trip to Good Earth and picked up a few things to try, including Quinoa and some yummy granola. The boys and I are already addicted to it.
We also got a lot of fruits and vegetables and fish during our grocery run. We really want to make this a good habit - though neither of us anticipate us going totally granola.
Our two biggest challenges seem to be time and money. It takes time to create a healthy meal when Roman Noodles take a quick 5 minutes. And it was definitely beyond our food budget to get the $5 all-natural bread loaf at Good Earth. So I wondered if anyone would share ways they have found to eat healthy with out breaking the bank or taking all night for one meal.
I would also LOVE some healthy recipes that don't require random ingredients I know are not in my pantry (I really don't like to go out and spend $7 for something I only need a teaspoon for). Email me if you have something to share - reyesohana@gmail.com
Thanks in advance!
m
7 comments:
Doing little things like changing all of your grains (flour, bread, tortillas, crackers) to 100% whole wheat is something simple and doesn't change the budget to much. Also we use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for everything except like buttering toast. Olive Oil is the most natural form of Oil's and is the healthiest. Also when making cookies or brownies when it says 1 Cup vegetable oil you can add applesauce instead of the oil. Just do like 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce. You can also get Adams brand peanut butter if you eat peanut butter alot. It the peanut butter that separates the peanuts and oil. It took me a little while to get use to but my kids didn't notice a difference. Also if you have a hard time getting vegetables eaten by your kids you can puree about any vegetable and put it into things like zucchini in brownies. Jerry Sienfield wife wrote a book about hiding vegetables into foods when you have picky eaters. I can't remember what its called but it has a bunch of healthy recipes in the book as well. Hope some of these things help you. Good luck!!
Also another thing that helped up that doesn't cost anything more is just when we bought fruits like apples and oranges we would take them out of their bags and stick them in a big bowl and then put them in the fridge in plain sight like on the middle shelf so right when we open the fridge we see the apples and oranges not the other more fattening things. Doing just that and rearranging the fridge better made us see the more healthy things first and it was surprising how much more often we ate fruit just from putting them in the bowl in the fridge.
Great post - I have found the same thing in trying to cook more healthy dishes. I like what anonymous said - always use wheat flour. We even use it in our less-healthy recipes (cake, cookies, pancakes, etc) If you happen to have a wheat grinder, you can make your own flour right before you use it in a recipe. The fresher it is, the higher the nutrient content. I've got a few recipes that aren't terribly time-consuming and I'll bring them down this weekend. It looks like Tim and I will be seeing you guys at the reunion!
you can always try making homemade bread--they even have the no-knead types. My friend makes bread every Saturday. She's been married for 4 years and has only purchased bread twice in that whole time! That is a little too ambitious for me, but still a great idea. I'm a member of Recipezaar. It's a free website based collection of recipes. They have everything you can dream of! You can search for recipes, store your own, and even make up menus. You should check it out!
-Leslie
Yeah Michele! I'm so glad you are going a little bit granola!=)You know me, I have to chime in on this one. I will send you an email though because this could get lengthy. =)
Michele, one other thing:
Amylynn Packard has a post on her blog called "Ode to Healthiness" It's amazing! She's amazing!!You should check it out! Here's a link:
http://michaelandamypackard.blogspot.com
Hey! Even better than Adam's Peanut butter (which has hydrogenated vegetable oil) is Kroger Peanut Butter: oil, peanuts, salt, but no sugar!
Post a Comment