AAAAARGH!!!!! I am sitting in class right now and I am missing my family. I have class every Monday from 2:00-9:45....yes, that's right.....nearly eight hours of class (broken up over three classes). I am currently sitting in Quantitative Research Methods. I like research but the presentation of this material is not the most dynamic. I am surprised that the teaching method of lecturing while reading the Powerpoint slides verbatim is still employed. There is no class discussion. No practical application. The other classes I have taken here at the "U" have been challenging and engaging. My call to all teachers out there is to help students "own" the material through creative and engaging means. I don't care what the subject is....there is always an interesting way to teach it. Anyone disagree? I know that in the K-12 arena, teachers are bound by standardized tests, state curriculum, AYP, limited time, etc. I still believe that we need more teachers at all levels who not only know about the material, but are passionate and creative......oh.....and who care about students learning. It's important that time away from my family be valuable...I miss them too much. I hate Mondays because I get no family time. I'm trying to get the Doctorate done while I'm fairly young so that I can coach the boys in sports when they get bigger. By the way, the boy in the photo is not my son....but so cute.K
5 comments:
Friends don't let friends go to the University of Utah. I'm sorry to have not been more forceful in trying to stop you. Do they use a lot of coloring books?
I'm glad you have a blog. We have a blog too if you're interested. sazband.blogspot.com. Blogging is a good way to keep in touch.
You're such a good blogger!
-Maks
What a wonderful father you are. It warms my heart to see that there are still some good men out there. I have to agree with what "tk" said, as much as it pains me to be so bluntfully honest.
melissa h was telling me how sometimes you'll get all gaga and show pictures of your kids to everyone and all the girls think it's so sweet. i love that you love your family. bummer about quant though. i'm in research design now and it's good--and over the summer i'm doing a quant methods course independent study, which i'm excited about. sorry your mondays are so long. next monday (this coming one) dinner with josh and i? what's your schedule?
Post a Comment