Sunday, April 6, 2008

General Conference - Sunday

It was such a wonderful conference. I love the feeling I have when its all over - strengthened, edified and determined to do a little better. If counsel on parenting was what I was looking for, it sure was there. I was so grateful for Elder Ballards talk for young mothers. I think it was my favorite of his. I am sure every mother was laughing at how well they related to his story at the beginning. I sure was. The part that touched me the most was the story of the mother who said her greatest regret was not living in the now - that she wished she remembered more of the picture of her young kids at the park. I have often looked at past photos of my boys and it is amazing to me how much they have grown in such a short time and it makes me so sad that those times are gone. I want to take time more to really soak in the moments and not look forward to 5:00pm so much (when Kyle is heading home). I have always been the type of person to hold my babies a minute longer to enjoy them being so little, but I want to cherish it even more. How incredibly grateful I am to be a mother. And knowing I am a mother in Zion gives me motivation to do a little better.
The thought of this need to cherish the time now reminds me of a couple Christmases ago when we were together with Kyle's family. His parents had found an old cassette tape with a recording of the three children talking - Kyle was only three years old at the time. We all laughed at how cute their voices sounded and at the funny things they said. Then Kyle's Dad said how when he heard the tape again after so long his missed that three year old Kyle. It made me think of my boys growing up and being married. I will miss their small faces and sweet voices. Again- a reminder to cherish the now.
Back to conference... I also enjoyed President Monson's closing remarks. It was amazing to me to see how well he fit into his new role - like wearing an old shoe - so natural and comfortable. I know he is who we need in the world today. I look forward to learning from him for many years to come.
Lastly, I wanted to write of the overall feeling I got from Conference. But first I need to write of how I felt going into it. For some reason for the few days leading up to conference all I saw were 'signs' that we need to get our food storage together. I even walked into Walmart on Friday to find water storage bins, plastic buckets and organizing shelves in the front entrance. I also attended an Enrichment on Thursday on food storage - learning that wheat prices have doubled because of scarcity. Anyway - I was feeling gloomy and kinda dooms-day-ish, if you know what I mean. I was certain that half the talks would be on being prepared and the events preceding the Second Coming. Instead what I found was evidence of a gospel of hope instead of the despair I felt before. A couple of the hymns had specific lines with messages just for me and I felt a wave of peace replace my worries.
Now, I am not saying that we don't have to work on food storage and be prepared. I just mean that I know everything will be okay and Heavenly Father will not forget nor forsake his children he loves so much. It was a sweet lesson to learn. Next I am off to declutter my closet and make room for food storage.
m

1 comment:

Jess said...

Nicely said. I loved the talk By Elder Ballard as well.