Sunday, July 27, 2008

Family History, I am doing it...

Last October, Kyle and I made the decision to begin attending a Native American Ward. We knew some of our thoughts, but overall just really felt that was where we needed to be. It has been a great experience and we have met and become friends with many wonderful people. For the past few weeks I have been attending the family history class. I have learned a lot and feel like I am really starting to catch the bug. I spent the last couple Sunday evenings at the Stake Center working on getting started. Before this, I felt that it was next to impossible to do my family history because of the difficulty of working with Navajo names. But this time is different - I feel enabled because of the resources available through this Ward. There are several people who have been successful in finding Navajo names and we even have a sister who is a professionally paid genealogist (lucky us get to use her for free because it is her calling). Anyway, long story short, I really feel that this is one of the reasons we needed to attend this ward - so that I can get a move on this important work.

2 comments:

The Aulava Family said...

I love family history! I love recording family stories and gathering information and documents. I have collected quite a bit. I can spend a whole day at the Family History Center in Salt Lake. I even got Maka excited about it. Good luck with it.

Jess said...

Yay for us, I'm still excited!