Thursday, September 18, 2008

Joyful Reunions

(I meant to do this post last week before we left for AZ, but ran out of time).

On Thursday (the 11th) I bribed Kekoa with some Batman gloves to be a big boy and stay at Joy School by himself. He has wanted those gloves for months (visiting the same merchandise aisle everytime we went to Blockbuster) so decided he could do it. He initially wanted Ikaika to stay with him, but Kaiks wasn't ready to leave mommy so I told Kekoa he had to be brave by himself. I took him inside and got him settled with a book. When I told him I was going to go he said he would come open the door for me. Before he reached the door he stopped, turned around and said in a calm, but sad voice, " Mom, I think I am going to cry." It was so sad, I about cried right there. As a mother I never want my little ones to feel alone. I told him I'd give him a hug so he wouldn't miss me. I hugged him a little too tightly and he burst into tears. It was so hard for me, but I assured him and left.
The experience left me pondering about separations in this life. I have such a hard time with separations. I hate leaving my kids, cry when Kyle leaves town and miss my family and friends who are not around.
I thought of how this life is filled with separations. And then I thought of a talk given by a loving Father at his oldest sons funeral. Along with tender words about his son he taught some sweet doctrine. One was of how the Lord uses a brief period of separation to serve his purposes. He gave examples of Joseph of Egypt, Lehi’s family and Christ at the culmination of the great Atonement. He said that, " the Lord uses periods of separation to serve eternal purposes but ultimately He is a reuniter."
Though a 2 and a half hour period for Joy School isn't all that difficult to endure, it got me thinking about the glorious day when there will be no more separations. I am so thankful for the hope of joyful reunions that come because of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Jess said...

What a great lesson, enjoyed reading this. It is one of the hardest things, separation.