Friday, October 3, 2008

The Power of Praise

I've long known the value of positive reinforcement, and I thought I'd record these two experiences for fun.

For our family home evening this week we went over a lesson in the Friend magazine on the essentials of a testimony. It was a great lesson with a fun visual using each finger on one hand. We reviewed with the boys and gave each of them a chance to stand on the couch and share their testimonies. After their turns we cheered and hugged them telling them what a great job they did. Kekoa asked to share his again as well as a couple times the next day. The power of praise.

Another -

Yesterday I challenged Kekoa to put away the utensils as I unloaded the dishwasher. I showed him where everything went and left him to work. He did it perfectly in just a couple minutes. I told him what a good job he did and how proud I was of him. He has now permanently adopted the job of putting away the silverware (though I guess time will tell how long the enthusiasm will last).
I love the goodness of children and how they thrive with just a little positive reinforcement.

2 comments:

Rae said...

Beautiful. It's definitely amazing what a little praise will do!

Jess said...

That's so good Michele & Kyle, you two are such awesome parents with the way you teach your kids. And good job Kekoa!