Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Today, I was looking over a few things to get Kekoa ready for kindergarten.  I realized I've talked to him about memorizing his home address, but never got around to it.  So, I sent him on an Address Hunt.  First I sent him to the front of our house with a paper and pen to write down the numbers he saw on the front of our house.  I initally sent him because I was busy feeding Ka'imi, but then it became more of a hunt as he was excited to come back with a "clue" of what he found.  I was amazed that when I asked him to recite the numbers he just wrote, he did it without any trouble (there are 5 numbers in our address, so that was impressive to me).  Then, we took a little feild trip (it really seemed like a trip with all four kids!).  First, I showed him the numbers on the curb by our house. It was funny to sew how amazed he was that it was the same numbers he had just memorized. After that we went down the street until we found the green street sign that had the name of the street we lived on.  I had Kekoa write it all down on his own.  Then, we went back home and I had him write the city and state.  Here's what he got:



Kekoa learned his address.  It was a fun little activity that we all enjoyed.  For a split second I thought maybe I could do home schooling.  It didn't last longer than that split second though.
One moment I thought was funny was after I explained to Kekoa why he needed to memorize his address (if he got lost), he asked if he could just keep the paper he wrote on in his pocket all the time.  It was cute, funny and in a way sad that he was so worried.  But over all I think he had fun learning where his home is.




Koa wanted a picture with Sepa.  Oooo . .. don't they look like trouble waiting to happen : )

1 comment:

Jess said...

What a fun activity! :) That was cute! Kekoa surely looks like a boy version of you Michele. I love the pic of him and Sepa. So cute!!