Monday, August 23, 2010

A little scared . . .

With such beautiful weather and 9 sleeps (as the boys understand it) left before Kekoa starts kindergarten, we decided to go to a nearby park.  The boys spent most of the time playing the in grassy area near a dried up brook.  With just a little time before dinner, we went over to the playground for a minute.  Almost at the same time, there arrived two little girls.  Their parents sat away from the playground, out of ear shot.  What followed was one of the most interesting experiences I've had in a long time.  So just to give you an idea, here were some of the things that came out of these two little girls mouths (mind you that by my very best guess, I would have said they were probably the same age as Kekoa and Ikaika - 4 and 5 or 6).

"Hi, boys." (while having one hand on their hip and pushing that same hip to the side).

My boys, happily, didn't really give them any attention (I think Sepa said hi when we first got there).

A couple minutes later, a couple of other boys came.  Since my boys weren't acknowledging them, their focus shifted.

"Look, more boys. Let's go talk to them."

"We're bad girls."

"You're not my boyfriend."

"Do you want to know my name? My name is Sierra-is-a-pretty-girl."

"I know how to kiss a boy."

That did it, I collected my boys and left. 
Reading what they said isn't quite the same effect - think of the tone of voice that a 18 year old diva girl might have and just make it little.  It was seriously unreal.
At first, all I noticed was the way they flipped their hair and stood (way too sexy for their age) and I was sad thinking my little girl would grow up in that kind of world.  But I felt better knowing I could influence her, teach her and most of all, set the best example I could for her. 
But as I continued to listen to them, my real fears came.  I realized my little Kekoa is going to leave our bubble in 9 days.  I will not be with him to take him away from situations I don't really care for.  What on earth has this world come to that I am afraid of the 5 and 6 year old girls that will be trying to talk to my son about having a boyfriend and kissing!
So what did we do tonight?  We had a good family home evening.  We reminded him again of the inspirational story of Joseph of Egypt and the term "flee."

3 comments:

Jess said...

Terrible!! But what a good FHE lesson to follow up with. Yeah, I too am nervous about Kono leaving the house, that is one of our concerns for even just preschool if we do decide to have him go.

Susie said...

Yikes. Experiences like that make me want to homeschool! But then again, they have to learn to make good choices and it's tough to do that in a "bubble". Keep teaching them Michele - it is worth every bit of time you invest. And pray - pray your guts out!

Canadian Princess said...

oh my goodness, that's makes me so so sad and scared too...and I'm not even there yet! I loved your follow up lesson though, absolutely priceless.