Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mommy Playtime

The other day Kekoa asked to play with some playdough. With my efforts to encourage creative play, I was happy to get it out for him. I was about to do the usual thing of clearing their table, plopping dough and a dull butter knife down, and then rushing off to use the free moment to get something done. But this time I decided to sit down and play with them. It was fun and I felt like they got more out of the activity as we talked about shapes and created a cute horse. I asked Kekoa what we needed to build it and he gave me instructions for 4 legs, a head, a tail and 2 ears (and even a saddle). It was a lot of fun and though my dishes were still waiting in the sink- I decided I need to do that more often.
m

5 comments:

Susie said...

You're right, they do get SO much more out of play when we do it alongside them. I've even found that with movies. Anna will talk up a storm and ask countless questions if I'm sitting beside her folding laundry while she's tuned into a show. Problem is, movies pretty much ONLY get turned on when mom has something urgent to get done. How to balance? Sounds like you're doing a great job.

The Lenehan Family said...

I love those little moments that they just eat up. I need to do that more often and not worry so much about how messy the house is. That can wait...childhood can not. They're only young once. Cute family! I'm glad you aren't private anymore..I didn't have your email to get an invitation. So fun to keep in touch this way.

The Aulava Family said...

Little moments are just priceless. So true I need play more and cherish these times. Hey have you tried the eatable blay dough?

Unknown said...

I hear you! So, so often I try to escape, but I've been finding that that's the time they try to take advantage of me and make messes or do things they know are not allowed. Is it because they just want attention, I ask myself? Probably. So,when I sit down and color with them, we're all having fun, being creative, and getting to know each other. We all have more pleasent days when we make the effort to serve and spend time together.
-Leslie

Jess said...

Isn't that true? I'm trying to do that more too. I love Kekoa's eye's in this pix.